Last year we nominated Jeremy Corbyn after a poll in which 143 members voted.

We attempted a similar rather low security poll last week, and it was hijacked after the password was leaked – and there were more votes than we have members.

We have now run the poll again, in  a much more secure fashion, and we are confident that everyone who voted is a member of the Association, and that none have voted more than once.  The voting records are with our auditors.

642 members were entitled to vote.  412 voted – 64% of those eligible.

Results:

Owen Smith: 209

Jeremy Corbyn: 174

Neither: 29

We have therefore submitted a supporting nomination for Owen Smith.

Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

8 Comments

1. A. McCamley says:

Foolish

1. Martin Rathfelder says:

This is democracy

2. M Holmes says:

Were we still the first society to issue a supporting nomination, as you’d hoped, Martin?

I agree that “a democratic socialist organisation does what its members want” – I only wish the PLP would see that, which is particularly ironic considering the praise of some MPs for our result whilst backing Owen Smith.

1. Martin Rathfelder says:

as far as I know we are the first. Most societies didn’t nominate anyone last time.

3. Paul says:

Would help IG you got the headline date right? 2106?

4. from the Association which failed to campaign against PFI and section 75 / privatisation this is not a huge surprise.

5. Eric says:

I have just returned from 10 days annual leave and started to catch up on my emails. I am very disappointed to learn that there has been some attempts at cheating going on & very disappointed that a vote that I thought I had cast before I went on leave has not been counted because I missed the 2nd ballot. For ‘the record’ Martin I would have voted for Mr Corbyn and although the SHA have nominated Mr Smith I am pleased that 174 SHA members voted for Mr Corbyn. I now just hope that Mr Corbyn wins the actual leadership election (again). Have a good week everyone.

What do you think?